Basis is the foundation of SAP systems. It consists of several components:
- Client/server architecture and configuration: This is the technical foundation of both SAP and Basis.
- A relational database management system(RDBMS): Basis overlaps with many aspects of traditional database administration.
- A graphical user interface (GUI): The GUI is the interface through which the Basis administrator interacts with SAP systems.
- A development environment
- A data dictionary: Data dictionaries are an indispensable part of the development process.
User and system administration and monitoring tools: These allow the Basis administrator to maintain the integrity and performance of SAP systems and address user concerns along the way.